As an author, you don’t just write books: you are a creator of intellectual property. This course covers what you need to know as an author to protect, assert and make the most of your intellectual property rights. From the page to the screen, you will gain an understanding of why it’s important to make informed decisions about granting rights and what you need to look out for before you sign that publishing contract.
This course is for UK resident authors. By the end of this course you will have covered:
- Copyright and associated rights. How you are already protected as an author and which rights you need to assert.
- The rights in publishing contracts. Understanding what rights you are granting to your publisher and why.
- Your subsidiary rights from translations to television. What are these and how they can be sold?
- Understanding what is reasonable in a publishing contract and what isn’t.
- Indemnity, libel and defamation. What are your obligations as an author, contractually and in the law.
- Public lending rights and licensing rights. How to claim monies to which you are entitled.
Saturday 13th November, 2pm-4pm
Click here to book now.